That’s your damn stock market, not ours

fredgraph-1.jpg 

BY DAVID F. RUCCIO | FEBRUARY 17, 2017

While Wall Street celebrates yet another stock market record—surpassing 20,000 on the Dow Jones industrial average—most Americans have little reason to cheer. That’s because they own very little stock and therefore aren’t sharing in the gains.

The only possible response is, “That’s your damn stock market, not ours,” analogous to the response about Brexit and the expected decline in GDP by a woman in Newcastle.

stocks.jpg

It’s true, even after recent declines, about half (48.8 percent) of U.S. households hold stocks in publicly traded companies directly or indirectly (according to the most recent Survey of Current Finances [pdf]).

table-7.jpg

But, according to Ed Wolff (pdf), the bottom 90 percent of U.S. households own only 18.6 percent of all corporate stock. The rest (81.4 percent) is in the hands of the top 10 percent.

So, while the stock market has experienced quite a turnaround from mid-February of last year (when a barrage of selling sent the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its lowest close since April 2014), especially since Donald Trump’s November victory (including more than 100 points just yesterday), most Americans continue to be left out in the cold.

Clearly, a much better alternative for American workers would be to follow Shannon Rieger’s advice and look toward a radically different model: enterprises that are owned and managed by their employees. That would give them a much better chance of sharing in the wealth they create.

They would also then be able to finally say to mainstream economists and politicians, “That’s our GDP and stock market, not yours.”


David F. Ruccio is Professor of Economics at University of Notre Dame, and author of over 80 journal articles and book chapters. His most recent books include 'Postmodern Moments in Modern Economics' (Princeton University Press), 'Economic Representations: Academic and Everyday' (Routledge), and 'Development and Globalization: A Marxian Class Analysis' (Rout­ledge). Read his blog and follow him on Twitter: @Dfruccio 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

Become a Monthly

d@w

Supporter

Sign Up!

Upcoming Events

d@w-Salt Lake City Monthly Meetup

When: Sep 23, 2017 12:00—03:15PM

Where: Mestizo Coffee House

What: Presented by Prof. Charles Nuckolls

d@w-Pasadena Monthly Action Group Meeting!

When: Sep 23, 2017 02:30—04:30PM

Where: Lamanda Park Library

What: Presented by Erik Boyd and Dan Niswander

View All Events

Follow Us


Facebook Friends:

Which of your Facebook friends have joined

d@w

Connect to Find Out:


patreon_promo-01.png


action_promo-01.png